KM School

There is a date stone on the school wall which states that it was rebuilt in 1762, and there is evidence of school teachers way before that date. One of the earliest teachers was Jonathan Robinson from 1580, it is written that he was an “egregious papist” !
Gilbert Horsman founded the school from his Will dated 27/11/1640, he gave an annuity of £5 and an acre of land was allotted at the enclosures. (Between 1604 and 1914 over 5,200 enclosure Bills were enacted by Parliament.)
On 24/12/1716 George Elsley gave an endowment of £5 per annum to build a school.
In 1726 William Elsley gave £10 p.a. by Deed for ten boys to be taught, five of which were clothed.
This in turn saw the arrival of Robert Thackra, a teacher, who stayed until 1750.
His grave is in Winksley churchyard.
1874 5th Feb The School has been very thin this week owing to an Annual Fair being held in Ripon
and the willow-peeling season in this village. (For weaving baskets/hats etc.)
There was another annual Fair held in Ripon in June and the Hackfall Gala was held in July,
also Mrs Cathcart at Mowbray House often invited the children for tea and games in their garden.
Other events which meant the children having holiday were the Statute Hirings held at Ripon in November,
the Band of Hope Festival held in March, the Kirkby Malzeard Feast in October.

1875 June 10th A holiday was given to day and all children above 8 years of age were conveyed to
Masham to join in the festivities on the occasion of the opening of a new Railway to that Town.

1876 June 13th A Gala being held to day in Hackfall half a holiday was given to the children.

1876 June 23rd The Master’s sick daughter aged 16 yrs died this morning at 8.25 and holiday was
given until the 27th inst. This was Mr Myers’ daughter

1882 Oct 20th The Hon: Mrs. Cathcart visited the school & promised to pay the School Fees
for five children.

1883 April 20th Several children absent on account of Ringworms, Measles and Whooping cough.
There are 4 cases of Ringworms, 6 cases of Measles and 12 of Whooping Cough. School work on the
whole satisfactory

Window sketch plan

Dallowgill Vicarage Today

© 2021

Contact    Privacy