Meeting: Sunday 12th November 2017, 3pm in Dallowgill Chapel Schoolroom – 16 attended
• Shirley Everett visited to find out about the stone slate quarries in Dallowgill on behalf of Nidderdale AONB, who are considering re-opening a stone slate quarry in the Nidderdale area and are doing a feasibility study. Shirley is prepared to come back for a meeting to tell us about mining in Nidderdale, and has agreed to help us arrange a visit to Gillfield Leadmine at Greenhow.
• As we haven’t had a meeting for a while, there was lots of new information for people to browse through.
• Small groups pored over family trees, maps and electoral registers.
• All the censuses are now transcribed and each has been summarised, with an overall summary to get an idea of how things have changed over the 80 years they have been produced. All census information is being put on the website.
• Sheila has produced comprehensive records of the two graveyards with transcriptions of memorials and photographs – she has pictures of some people who are buried in the graveyards, and would be very grateful of anymore people may have. She is now putting them on the website.
• Bev and Phil came from Folk Finders in Pateley Bridge and have offered to advertise our Project and any publications we produce – we better produce something!! It’s always worth popping in to see them as they have lots of interesting things to look at in King’s Street Workshops.
We have been concentrating on researching Carlesmoor, which although only a small collection of houses, has proved quite a task! A timeline has been put together using the records we have found and we have done a summary of all the census information, all of which helps to give a better picture of this area over the last centuries.
Next meeting on Sunday 14th January 2018, but don’t forget the Dallowgill Carol Service at 6.30pm on Sunday 24nd December. ALL WELCOME.