The history of The Old Vicarage, Dallowgill

From a presentation by Chris Floyd 29th January 2013

Dallowgill Vicarage Today
The house today

  • The house was built in the 1700s; the first mention we can find is from 1793, when it was owned by Mrs. Allanson
  • In 1838, the farmhouse and land were owned by Elizabeth Lawrence of Studley and rented by Philip Raper (or Roper?)
  • The farmhouse plus 70 (or 74) acres (7 for the house and the rest for glebe farm income) were sold to the Bishop or Ripon for £200 in November 1842
  • St. Peters Church was built on part of this land in 1843 and became a separate chapelry in July 1844 (the school had been built on adjoining land, also belonging to Elizabeth Lawrence in 1834)
  • In 1847, the house was extended by adding a vicar’s study and receiving room, with two bedrooms above. About this time, a drive was added linking the house with the church
    1842 map of the land sold to the church by E. Lawrence

The fields

  • Stang Brae Head
  • High Stubbings
  • Low Stubbings
  • Intake
  • Sheep Pasture
  • Sheep Pasture
  • Old Rape Close
  • Intake
  • Hollin Close
  • Long Close
  • Craggs
  • New Close
  • Borrins
  • Longton Intake
  • Bottoms (church yard)
  • Great Close
  • Canny Brae
  • House, garden and garth
  • West Close

Dallowgill Vicarage Land Map
1842 map of the land sold to the church by E. Lawrence

  • Road as it is today, but stopping at the house
  • Barn, stable and side shed as they are today
  • House with outbuilding block
  • There is no trace today of the building in field 16
  • Two footpaths have also disappeared

Most of the vicars liked living in Dallowgill

  • 1843-1864 Henry Prior – £100/yr =~ £75,000 today – Wife, four children, one niece, governess, three servants
  • 1865-1867 John Dale Wawn
  • The only one who didn’t stay long, and we know little about him
  • 1867-1897 John Shaw – £143/yr in 1870 =~ £77,000 today – Wife and two children
  • 1899-1911 Reuben Vardy – £130/yr in 1896 = ~£53,000 today
  • 1911-1922 Owen Jones Davies

The late 1800s and early 1900s

  • In 1899, Rev. Reuben Vardy drew up plans to add a farmhouse wing to the vicarage (called Parsonage House on the plans), but these weren’t implemented.
  • A kitchen and extra bedrooms were added about this time
  • In March 1906, Rev. Vardy rented out the 70 acres of land with buildings to William Weatherhead for £35/yr, but kept the vicarage and pasture
  • In 1908, Leeds Corporation acquired the bulk of the farmland, but not the Vicarage.
  • Rev Vardy was still active in 1910, commissioning windows for the church
  • In 1918, there was a campaign to stop Dallowgill and Kirkby merging, but in 1922 the parishes merged anyway and Owen Davies moved to Kirkby becoming vicar of combined parish
  • In 1923, Leeds Corporation acquired the Vicarage and 6 acres from Rev. Owen Jones Davies for £850

Window sketch plan
Drawing of memorial window 1910

The mid 1900s to present day

  • It is thought Robert and Edith Hall moved in as tenants when Rev. Davies moved out; but this has not been confirmed.
  • An electric generator was installed in 1926
  • The Halls were certainly resident in 1937
  • After WW2, Robert and Edith Hall ran the house as a B&B, until leaving in 1958. Miss Dobson, the schoolmistress, lodged at the house in the 1950s
  • Property was then empty for about three years
  • Leonard and Isobel Chandler moved in ~1961 as tenants, and then bought the property from Leeds Corporation in 1978
  • The property passed to their children and was sold to the Floyds in July 2000


© 2021

Contact    Privacy